Sunday, February 2, 2014

Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily

Rating : 5 stars
Read : February 1st to 2nd, 2014
Format Read: Kindle Edition


5 ++ "magical  and mesmerizing" kind of stars 



I think that's safe to say that everyone have heard about Peter Pan, the Lost Boys, Neverland...Tiger Lily is the retelling of that story,narrated by no other than Tinker Bell.

"Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair. . . ."


And that girl was Tiger Lily, the daughter of the Shaman of the Tribe Sky Eaters. The strange girl,the girl everyone thought it was cursed, he girl that was feral and slick like a panther.

She come across a dying Englishmen, and when everyone in the tribe was afraid to go near him,to not catch the dreadful "aging disease", Tiger Lily took after him. But that single act,unchained a turn of events from being force to become engaged to a bad man,to crossing paths with Peter Pan.
It wasn't insta-love, far from it but I do believe they were in a way fascinated with each other, what in turn changed to love. She couldn't stay away from him and the Lost boys, where she could be herself and live the way she wanted.


But while she immerses deeper in their world, more her own starts to break...changes on her tribe have terrible consequences. Adding to the threats of Hook,is the arrival of Wendy that seems to tear them apart.

*****

Characters 

Tiger Lily 

Truly she was one of best characters I read and one of the most "unconventional". She is strong, fierce and stoic. She is quiet, silently taking it all in.Like a panther, like an wild and beautiful animal that can't be tamed. But she also can show through her actions how much she cares even when she can't tell it herself.

"I miss you already,"he said. Tiger Lily wanted to say it back.But she held on to the words greedily, too caught in the habit of keeping herself a secret 

In that aspect of her I could truly connect with her. 

She is a great heroine because she isn't perfect, and we go through this all journey with her, from first love, to grieve, to loss...


Peter 

"How can I describe Peter's face, the pieces of him that stick to my heart? 
Peter sometimes looked aloof and distant;
 sometimes his face was open and soft as a bruise. 
Sometimes he looked completely at Tiger Lily,
 as if she were the point on which all the universe revolved, 
as if she were the biggest mystery of life, 
or as if she were a flame and he couldn't not look even though he was scared. 
And sometimes it would all disappear into carelessness, confidence, amusement,
 as if he didn't need anyone or anything on this earth to feel happy and alive." 


This for me was one of the best descriptions of Peter. In this story we get a full range of his emotions, scared, cocky but above else content in his life. I do think the best version of him was at Tiger Lily's side, we could feel how he grow to love her and care for her. 



Gosh, don't let me start on their love! So damn beautiful!
And then when all that sort of the events tarted to happen, I was heartbroken and sad.
God damn it you two,


Tink 

Our lovely, loyal and courageous narrator...she was the witness to their story, going along with them, observing them and seeing so much more than the eye behold.

They kept apart from each other, but it was as if a string attached their fingers, because they could each feel each others's hands even though they carefully kept their hands apart. 

And still, she was in love with Peter but never stop rooting for Tiger's and Peter's happiness. She actually love them both even when she thought they never knew/cared she existed.

Other characters 

No uni-dimensional characters here...each one have layer upon layer, of choices they made, their character, personality.

We get to know more about Hook and why he was so set in destroy Peter, Smee and his fixation with Tiger Lily, Pine Sap the thoughtful and loyal friend and Tik Tok, her wise father(and another character that broke my heart!The way his spirit was killed, pierced through me. T.T)
And well,how about Wendy? I didn't liked her at all in this and I wasn't surprise. I was rooting for someone else happy ending.

Overall 


What to say about this book?

I LOVED IT!!!
When I caught myself I was completely immersed in the story, in the characters, in Neverland.
The prose is enthralling and unique and I ended up reading it all in one setting! I couldn't stop reading, I needed to experience it all.
Neither to say when I finished near 2am, I was a sobbing mess...the story is just beautiful and mesmerizing, although in many ways heartbreaking.


"Every kind of love, it seems, is the only one. 
It doesn't happen twice. 
And I never expected that you could have a broken heart and love with it too,
 so much that it doesn't seem broken at all. "


No comments:

Post a Comment