Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Ocean at the End of the Lane

The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Rating: 4 stars
Read: January 13th to 28th, 2014
Format Read : Kindle Edition

'Nobody looks like what they really are on the inside. You don't. I don't. People are much more complicated than that. It's true for everybody.' 

What to say about this book?
It's the first book I ever read of Neil Gaiman and I guarantee it won't be my last! The way he tells a story and blend fantasy with reality is just fascinating. The way childhood innocence gets caught up in old wisdom, in the old ways of the earth.

The story starts when a middle aged man comes to his hometown to attend a funeral. He is drawn to the house at the end of the lane where he used to live so many years ago...and while arriving there memories come rushing back, memories long forgotten...
The book then takes us to his story, when he was 7 years old and an uneventful chain of events released an evil that threatened to destroy his world,his family, and only Lettie and her family at the end of the lane could help him.


'Nothing's ever the same,' she said.'Be it a second later or a hundred years. It's always churning and roiling. And people change as much as oceans.' 

I won't say much more because I don't won't to spoil the book to anyone but the story seemed so personal and strange and the same time. Almost dreamlike,you know? There are scenes hard to fully grasp what it's happening but in a way it feels normal since all we can see is through the eyes of a little boy. We get a mix of innocence, horror and mystery all in one setting.
The prose is beautiful and haunting and I caught myself highlighting many little pearls :)
So yeah, I loved it although the ending made me nostalgic and sad. 

The heart kept on reminding what the head long ago forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment