Saturday, July 13, 2013

On the Island (On the Island #1)


Rating : 5 stars
Read : July 12 to 13, 2013
Format Read : Kindle Edition



This is a story of survival and love, no matter the circumstances.


This is T.J. and Anna's story...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

“I don't fit in your world."

"Neither do I," he said, his expression tender yet resolute. "So let's make our own. We've done it before.” 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Anna is an English teacher and she was hired as T.J.'s tutor for the summer. He is behind in school because he had cancer, now in remission.
So both of them are set to the Maldives to meet T.J.'s family and to start the tutoring , until the worst things happens. 
Their plain crashed in the sea.

They got ashore a desert island, beat up and scared, hoping that they'll be found soon. 
That doesn't happen. 
The days become weeks, and weeks months, and they're making everything to survive in the island, where they can barely find potable water and food. There is the constant danger of sharks, diseases...

They learn how to make fire, to create shelter and so on. 
They learn how to rely in each other, in sync to each other needs.
And how such a beautiful place can be so deceiving, holding danger and putting them on trial, on every single chance?

When they arrived the island, she was 30 years old and T.J.'s was 16 years old but now he is grown into a man. A partner, a caretaker and love slowly starts blossoms between them.


I pulled my arms out from underneath her body and tucked her hair behind her ears. 
“I love you, Anna.”
The surprised look on her face told me she hadn't seen that coming.
“You weren't supposed to fall in love,” she whispered.
“Well, I did,” I said, looking into her eyes. 
“I've been in love with you for months. I’m telling you now because I think you love me too, Anna. You just don’t think you’re supposed to. You’ll tell me when you’re ready. I can wait.” 
I pulled her mouth down to mine and kissed her and when it ended, I smiled and said, 
“Happy birthday.” 

Even with each other, can they survive and get off this island and back to civilization?
Is still any hope left?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

**************************

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!
I admit at first, I was little afraid to read it... Why? Many times when a book is so hyped and I read so many raving reviews, my expectations get really high and well, many times I just get disappointed. Not with this one! Just so many EMOTIONS!!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Gosh, I had so many "Cast Away" and "Blue Lagoon" FEELINGS! I lost count the amount of times I watched both films!! ( Wilsoonnnn T.T).



Anyway, I got sucked in the story from the start. 
And having both POV's gave a better understanding of what they were going through. 
I connected with the characters, get all emotional and above all I was rooting for them. For them to survive it all and of course to be together. 

Age difference?
Not a problem for me at all, this love story is just so unique and beautiful. And well, I do believe that love come in every shape and form. If the love is true and doesn't hurt anyone, who are we to say it's wrong?

And every time I think they were together 24/7...they were each other strength, companionship,partners, friends and lovers.  No words to describe the depth of their love and devotion.



****spoilers ahead , proceed with caution****

They were rescued when I least expected. By that point I thought that they weren't never to get of the island.
But to have their miracle occur in one of the most drastic natural disasters? 

And one disaster that I believe is still very "fresh" in the readers mind? I do believe mostly everyone that reads it remembers quite clearly this tragedy! But also some of the "miracles" that happened...so it's not far fetched to think, this could happen! It was genius!


Then I thought it was realistic, how they got together with their families and to the "real world". I expected more drama in the adaptation but I got to say, I'm happy in how everything was handled. From small details, like Anna feeling overwhelmed hearing so many people , to their reactions when they realized their love ones  had made their funeral, to people they lost and even events they lost (like 9/11 for example).
And how their love can triumph in this new setting...



I was especially angry, when small minded people, or joked with their age difference or implied some sort of abuse. They were both consensual adults! Plus I can't even imagine, to be with someone 24/7, completely isolated from the world, relying in each other for their lives, caring for each other, be each other sole company, and don't develop feelings for each other.


And that epilogue? PERFECT,PERFECT,PERFECT!

************************************
A BIG THANK YOU to Rita, for the rec, I ABSOLUTELY ADORE this book!

I can't recommend this one in enough! Is just AMAZING!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us





No comments:

Post a Comment