Monday, July 29, 2013

Bookworm & Friends - Guest Post #1


Hello everyone!
I was trying to get new post ideas for the blog, when I thought, "Why not invite a friend over to share a book review with us all?". 
And that's what Bookworm&Friends is all about!

My first guest *drums rolls*is a friend I made on Goodreads ,and we bound in all the craziness and our undying love for books,aha. She is just awesome you guys!
Anyway,when I approached her with my idea, she was totally on board and I got to say I feel honored to share with you all, one of her amazing reviews!

Now, give a warm welcome to my bestie Ana Rita and also go follow her FANTASTIC reviews!! 


Thank you again dear, xx


'Left Drowning' is an intense and meaningful reading experience. 


It captivates the reader's attention right from the beginning, that's when we meet 'Blythe McGuire'. 


I have mastered the art of melancholy. 

She's not a regular 21-year-old college student, she's someone whose life was shattered when her parents died in a tragic accident. She's profoundly sad, using alcohol as an escape and a way to numb the pain, she's disappointed in herself, lonely and trying to mend a fractured relationship with her brother.


Just get through the day, Blythe. You can fucking do this 

While she's trying to get through another day, we get our first glimpse of an unforgettable character: 'Sabin', someone who captivates both Blythe and the reader from his first appearance and eventually becomes really important in Blythe’s journey. 

I would like to take this moment to praise Jessica Park’s talent to create such unique characters. Every character is complex and well developed, we get emotionally invested in each one of them, their singular personalities and individual stories (I would really love to read more about Sabin, Eric, Estelle, James...)

So, after that first encounter with Sabin, she meets his brother: Christopher Shepherd. Here’s how she sees him: 

He is confident, he is assured, and he is centered. 


He strikes me as free, freer than I am or could be 



She feels an undeniable attraction to him and we become intrigued with the intensity of their connection.

Some people describe certain physical connections as being like electricity. Sparks flying. When Chris and I touch, it’s different. I think of the feel of water. The way it is when you wade into the ocean and a small wave cascades against you, swirling sand over you and awakening every pour. 

He’s a catalyst for her change

Run through the pain 


Breath. Just Breath. 

The relationship between Blythe and Chris is something to be experienced, it’s not rushed, or easy and in case you're wondering, their physical connection equals their emotional link in its intensity.<spoiler>no X-rated quotes here, you naughty reader! I don't want to spoil the fun, just know that it’s HOT HOT HOT</spoiler>


You feel with me, the same way that I do with you. 


Like Chris, the rest of the Shepperd family is crucial in Blythe’s change and self-discovery. I think the author's approach of depression is flawless and realistic. There are other elements in this story (e.g.religion, abuse) and I felt that the author's raw, straightforward and honest approach to those gives authenticity to the story.

Usually, I don't like to mention the book cover or title, but I have to make an exception in this case to say that the title of this book is brilliant and that both book covers are beautiful. I LOVE that first, original cover (the girl in the water), it’s artistic and evocative, it’s perfection.

This story unleashes a raging torrent of emotions, it surprised me, made me laugh, cry… it moved me. 

Drowning in the beautiful words of Jessica Park was a pleasure and I recommend it to everyone. One of the best books I've read this year. 


Finally, here's an excerpt of the wonderful book’s dedication that expresses its powerful message: 

This book is for everyone who has survived. You are not broken. You can love and be loved, despite what may feel like the eternally brutal nature of the world. Even when you’re drowning and so far under, there is always time to reach for someone who will teach you how to breathe again. 

Left Drowning by Jessica Park  ***review by Ana Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment